Additional information/Special implementation requirements or guidelines:
- Fourth year medical students who are completing a required Geriatrics rotation.
- Also appropriate for third year medical students during their third year Medicine clerkship.
Instructor Responsibility: Course instructors or rotation directors should be available to learners for questions regarding the content of this online curriculum.
- RealPlayer, to view the videos
Procedures for Implementation:
- To use the curriculum, you will need to have a program called RealPlayer installed on your computer. Download it for FREE by visiting this website: www.real.com.
- Visit our website: http://www.bu.edu/geriatrics/casimiracase/
- Learner instructions and links to video clips, mock charts, and PowerPoint Modules A and B are located on this website.
- Learners should complete all components of Modules A and B.
- If instructors choose to grade completion of the modules as a clerkship exercise, BU has a 10-question quiz consisting of multiple choice and true-false items.
At BU, we require students to complete modules A and B by the end of the first week of their required fourth year geriatrics clerkship. On the last day of week 1, students are administered this paper quiz in a proctored setting. To receive a passing grade for the exercise, students must answer 7 out of 10 questions correctly (i.e. at least 70% correct). We give students an unlimited opportunity to retake this quiz (and redo the online curriculum) if they do not pass it on the initial attempt. If you would like a copy of the quiz, please contact Dr. Serena Chao at email@example.com
Relationship to Other Educational Materials: This tool was designed to be a stand-alone curriculum in delirium. However, clerkship directors may use it as an adjunctive teaching resource. For example, it may be used as a supplement to existing delirium lectures or as a preparatory tool for small group case discussions.
Assessment of Learners: After learners complete the online curriculum, instructors may choose to administer a 10-question quiz consisting of multiple choice and true/false questions. Please see item 5 in “Procedures for Implementation”.
Publications from, presentations from, and/or citations to this product:
Chao S, Brett B, Wiecha J, Norton L, Doyle J, Ackerman K, Cao X, Levine SA. Comparison of Online Curriculum to Lecture Format in Teaching Delirium to 4th-Year Medical Students. J Am Geriatr Soc 2007; 55:S182 (accepted for poster presentation, Presidential Poster Session, 2007 American Geriatrics Society Annual Scientific Meeting, Seattle, Washington).