University of Arizona College of Medicine
Elder Care A Resource for Interprofessional Providers: Hyponatremia in Older Adults - Therapeutic Considerations is one of a continuing series of practical, evidence based, Provider Fact Sheets which summarize key geriatric topics and provide clinically useful assessments and interventions. Initially developed for remote, rural clinical sites, they are useful for students and health care professionals from many fields and across a very broad range of health care settings.
After reading this issue of Elder Care, you should be able to…
- Explain why free water restriction is sometimes difficult for older adults
- Describe the approach to correcting sodium levels in chronic hyponatremia
- Describe the approach to correcting sodium levels in severe acute hyponatremia
Subscribers to POGOe are free to reprint Elder Care on their own stationery or in other publications without obtaining specific permission, so long as:
- Content is not changed,
- No one is charged a fee to use or read the publication,
- Authors and their affiliated institutions are noted without change, and
- The reprint includes the following statement: “Reprinted courtesy of the Arizona Reynolds Program of Applied Geriatrics and the Arizona Geriatrics Workforce Enhancement Program”.