Morristown Medical CenterMorristown NJ
This Observed Standardized Caregiver (SCG) interview is designed to be used with geriatric fellows. The goal is to assess the fellow's competence in establishing goals of care with patient’s families in the ambulatory setting.
The case is designed to evaluate geriatric fellow’s ability to elicit the following core competencies in geriatrics assessment during a Standardized Patient Interview:
1. Establish that the caregiver is the appropriate health care designee
2. Introduce the need to have a discussion about overall goals of care
3. Establish what would be an acceptable quality of life for the patient
4. Assist the family with completing a written health care directive ( for this exercise a Practitioner Order of Life Sustaining Treatment form - POLST )
This exercise can be integrated into an ongoing geriatrics curriculum for geriatric fellows.
• An overview of the educational goals and patient characteristics is discussed with the fellow(s) prior to the session (15 minutes)
• Training of SCG (30 minutes)
• The fellow(s) are videotaped performing a caregiver interview (30 minutes)
• The fellow(s)complete a self-assessment tool (3 minutes)
• The SCG completes a fellow(s) assessment tool (3 minutes)
• The videotape is reviewed by the faculty with a standardized assessment tool (20 minutes)
• A group session to provide formative feedback is conducted with geriatrics faculty