University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine
This is a Powerpoint presentation designed to provide the backbone for a talk to primary care or specialty residents responsible for discharging hospitalized Medicare patients to another level of care. It reviews the available post-acute options (LTACH, AIR, SNF, LTC, home health) and provides just the information on Medicare and Medicaid that are critical to understanding the patient’s options. The presentation includes Medicare financial information and criteria for coverage specific to 2014, and Medicaid information specific to NC, so some modification and updating may be necessary for use in other venues or later years. The presentation can be accomplished in 45 minutes leaving room for questions in a one-hour time block. A decision-tree diagram is included as a handout that can be provided with the talk and provides a succinct summary for future reference.
1. Review a few key elements of Medicare and Medicaid eligibility and benefits
2. Distinguish between Inpatient and Observation status for Medicare patients
3. Be able to clearly state a patient’s discharge needs
4. Know the various discharge options and the key differences between them
5. Apply the criteria for Medicare coverage of various discharge options