University of California, Irvine, School of Medicine
This pocket teaching card is designed for ward-based teaching and hospitalized-based care of geriatric patients.
Goal: Learners will provide appropriate assessment, intervention, and follow-up for their hospitalized geriatric patients.
- Learners will demonstrate their knowledge of appropriate assessment by determining the baseline of their geriatric patients in cognition, gait, and ability to carry out ADLs and IADLs.
- Learners will demonstrate appropriate interventions to prevent iatrogenic disorders.
- Learners will be able to identify events in their geriatric patients that necessitate transfer to a higher level of care.
- Learners will know basic steps to recognize, prevent, and care for delirium, pneumonia, heart failure.
- Learners will be able to provide basic pre- and perioperative care for geriatric patients.
- Learners will provide appropriate discharge plans for geriatric patients.