Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
Access to mental health benefits has proved to be a challenge for the older adult. Some older adults receive insurance through employer sponsored programs; while others receive insurance through public sponsored programs such as Medicaid and Medicare. Specific challenges relating to access and mental health coverage include: inpatient services, the number of visits, drug coverage, transportation issues and other gaps. This module examines the older adult's access to mental health care and insurance coverage. It also includes pre-test, post-test and exercises. A certificate of completion is awarded, after completing the module in its entirety.
Upon completion of this module, the participant will be able to:
- Identify the main mental health insurance benefits through Medicare and Medicaid for treatment of depression.
- Recognize the positive and negative impact of mental health insurance benefits on the access and outcome of treatment for depression.
- Review the specific challenges of rural elderly in accessing and complying with mental health services for depression.
- Incorporate the caregivers (family and friends) into accessing and complying with care for depressed older persons.
- Develop an interprofessional plan of care through a case study.
Technical Requirements and Notes: This learning module uses Adobe Flash media and may require you to add a browser "plug-in" in order to display properly. Most computers already have this free plug-in installed. But, if yours does not, it is very easy to download and install. Try the module first because the software is "smart" enough to detect the Flash player. If the module doesn't begin, you will be automatically prompted to download the plug-in. The module contains links to external websites which will open in a new browser window. Your browser's back button will not return to the module, so these new windows should be closed.
In order to track your progress, you must create an account and fill out a brief demographic profile. Once the profile has been created, you can log directly into the course.