Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
Recognizing depression can be quite complex as it relates to the barriers associated with this condition; as well as having the ability to identify the common signs and symptoms associated with depression. This module examines the complexity of recognizing and screening for depression in the older adult. It also includes pre-test, post-test and exercises. A certificate of completion is awarded if the learner passes the course.
Upon completion of this module, the participant will be able to:
- Identify common signs and symptoms of depression in older adults.
- Identify risk factors for depression in older adults.
- Discuss barriers to recognizing and screening for depression in older adults.
- Select a depression screening instrument that best suits your practice area.
- Recognize the importance of establishing a protocol for screening.
- Value the role all members of the interprofessional team have in screening older adults for depression.
Technical Requirements and Notes: This learning module uses Adobe Flash media and may require you to add a browser "plug-in" in order to display properly. Most computers already have this free plug-in installed. But, if yours does not, it is very easy to download and install. Try the module first because the software is "smart" enough to detect the Flash player. If the module doesn't begin, you will be automatically prompted to download the plug-in. The module contains links to external websites which will open in a new browser window. Your browser's back button will not return to the module, so these new windows should be closed.
In order to track your progress, you must create an account and fill out a brief demographic profile. Once the profile has been created, you can log directly into the course.