Elder Care: A Resource for Interprofessional Providers: Pneumonia in Nursing Home Patients
for Clinical Accuracy:
Nursing Home-Acquired Pneumnonia is one of a continuing series of practical, evidence based, Provider Fact Sheets which summarize key geriatric topics and provide clinically useful assessments and interventions. Initially developed for remote, rural clinical sites, they have become favorites in all training settings.
1. List the diagnostic criteria for nursing home-acquired pneumonia (NHAP)
2. List likely differences in the microbiology of mild vs severe NHAP
3. Explain the differences in approach to treating NHAP in the nursing home vs in a hospital
Additional information/Special implementation requirements or guidelines:
Subscribers to POGOe are free to reprint Elder Care on their own stationery or in other publications without obtaining specific permission, so long as
(1) content is not changed,
(2) no one is charged a fee to use or read the publication,
(3) authors and their affiliated institutions are noted without change, and
(4) the reprint includes the following statement: “Reprinted courtesy of the Arizona Reynolds Program of Applied Geriatrics and the Arizona Geriatric Education Center."
Intended learner audience:
Estimated time to complete:
Conflict of Interest Disclosure:
No, I (we) have nothing to disclose.
Dr. Bradford Winslow. Elder Care: A Resource for Interprofessional Providers: Pneumonia in Nursing Home Patients. POGOe - Portal of Geriatrics Online Education; 2019 Available from: https://pogoe.org/productid/20689