University of Arizona College of Medicine
Pain When Reaching Overhead: Four Common Shoulder Problems in Older Adults is one of a continuing series of practical, evidence based, Provider Fact Sheets which summarize key geriatric topics and provide clinically useful assessments and interventions. Initially developed for remote, rural clinical sites, they are useful for students and health care professionals from many fields and across a very broad range of health care settings.
- List four common shoulder problems seen in older adults that present with pain when reaching overhead with the arms.
- State the key examination findings for each of those four shoulder problems
- Order appropriate imaging for patients suspected of having any of the four problems.
(1) content is not changed,
(2) no one is charged a fee to use or read the publication,
(3) authors and their affiliated institutions are noted without change, and
(4) the reprint includes the following statement: “Reprinted courtesy of the Arizona Reynolds Program of Applied Geriatrics and the Arizona Geriatric Education Center."