University of Arizona College of Medicine
COPD Management in Older Adults with Heart Disease or Diabetes is one of a continuing series of practical, evidence based, Provider Fact Sheets which summarize key geriatric topics and provide clinically useful assessments and interventions. Initially developed for remote, rural clinical sites, they are useful for students and health care professionals from many fields and across a very broad range of health care settings.
1. State whether or not beta blocker therapy for cardiac indications can be safely prescribed to patients who also have COPD
2. State what is known about the safety of prescribing long-acting beta-agonists for COPD to patients who also have heart disease
3. Identify risks of prescribing inhaled steroids to patients who have COPD and diabetes
(1) content is not changed,
(2) no one is charged a fee to use or read the publication,
(3) authors and their affiliated institutions are noted without change, and
(4) the reprint includes the following statement: “Reprinted courtesy of the Arizona Reynolds Program of Applied Geriatrics and the Arizona Geriatric Education Center."