University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
Continuing Mobile Education for EMS Providers is a video vodcast-based education program that includes interviews from physicians, EMTs, paramedics, and patients to help the EMS Provider give patients better care. The program was created to address the need for more "on-demand" educational opportunities for EMS Providers. Each month, a new block of four 10-minute vodcasts is posted to the program website, http://mlrems.org/page.php?55. In the End of Life Issues block of vodcasts, you will learn the definition of DNR and MOLST and the importance of finding and keeping track of the paperwork during prehospital care, the definition of a healthcare proxy and the protocol in dealing with them, the definition of hospice and palliative care and the different protocols involved with each, and you will be more aware of the stress on longterm caregivers.
Episode 1: I Think She has a Living Will: Advance Directives in the Field
- Understand the concept of advance directives
- Be able to define "DNR" and "MOLST"
- Understand how DNR and MOLST forms can assist the prehospital care provider in the field
Episode 2: Working With Healthcare
- Proxies in the Field
- Understand the concept of a healthcare proxy
- Understand how a healthcare proxy may change the course of care
- Learn how to identify the healthcare proxy
- Describe how a healthcare proxy can assist EMS in patient care
Episode 3:EMS, Hospice, and Palliative Care
- Define palliative care
- Define hospice care
- Understand the treatment goals for hospice and palliative care patients may differ
- Be aware of situations where EMS may be called for these patients
Episode 4: EMS and Caregiver Stress
- Recognize that longterm caregivers may experience stress
- Describe some of the adverse consequences of stress experienced by longterm care providers
- Understand ways EMS providers can aid longterm caregivers as well as the patient
To use this product, you must have a high speed internet connection and speakers.