Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
This podcast episode outlines 5 strategies for effective prescribing in the elderly.
For more information about the series, go to http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/fammed/ttmedcast/gerseri....
The listener should be able to:
- Explain how aging-related decline in organ function impacts pharmacokinetics with specific emphasis on the kidneys, liver, blood volume & muscle
- Explain implications for polypharmacy in the elderly
- Discuss measures that a physician can take to avoid over-medication in the elderly
- Use the Beers Criteria to identify potentially inappropriate medications for the elderly
- Manage clinical situations of pathologies in or drug-related problems in older adults
This podcast episode is an MP3 file. It may be listened to on a computer with speakers or an MP3 player. It is available on the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center website, where an episode fact sheet is also available, or for download from the iTunes Music Store (search term: "texas tech medcast").