Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
A lecture presentation on the hazards of hospitalization and the risks for functional decline for hospitalized older adults. Includes an image by M.C. Creditor of the Hazards of Bedrest and Hospitalization from Ann Intern Med 1993;118:219-223, and a pocket card for interns showing the risks for hazards of hospitalization and tools for assessing the hazards of hospitalization.
The learners (interns) will be able to:
- Recognize factors that increase the risk of harm to older adults who are hospitalized.
Recognize the major hazards associated with hospitalization for older adults including:
- Decrease in functional capacity
- Weight loss and nutritional decline
- Delirium and/or depression
- Know how to assess for the hazards of hospitalization.
- Recognize the importance of early discharge planning.
We try to offer this presentation to all first year residents in all disciplines.