University of Nebraska College of Medicine
This unit provides information on etiologies, comorbidities, evaluation and management on this difficult and elusive problem in the elderly. Dr. Magnuson provides very innovative and practical tips for diagnosis and management.This one hour CEU accredited unit is divided into 3 modules of 15-20 minutes each. It's design allows delivery as either a lecture or voiced for a distance web-based module or self-directed learning. Each module ends with case-based questions and answers.
CME credit is available for this product. For more information, please contact the author.
This unit provides basic training and some advanced concepts in the diagnosis, evaluation and management of psychotic problems in the elderly.
Upon completion the learner will be able to:
1) Define psychosis
2) Delineate common etiologies for psychosis in older patients
3) Describe common treatment modalities for psychosis in geriatric patients
1) List the common etiologies for psychosis in the elderly
2) Describe the common presentations of these etiologies
1) Describe common treatment modalities for psychosis in geriatric patients
1) For lecture presentation: There are no special implementation requirements other than familiarity with the technology to use PowerPoint. Presenters should be comfortable enough with content to facilitate a robust discussion. 2) For use in distance learning: The material was originally adapted to Blackboard learning systems, however using the Power Point system as we have, it can be adapted to many distance based learning system. We recommend for optimal learning that the presentation have speaker voicing ( audio) to explain the slides and the learner also have the ability to read the lecture notes.
Benefits and practical tips: For lecture and self learning: The 15-20 minute modular format is concise and partialized, allowing presenters to select the most relevant information for their audience.
For use in distance learning:
Our feedback is that the 15-20 minute segments are popular, the learners cite that it less intimidating to do, the questions at the end create a break and closure and the 1 hour credit for completion of the three module unit is attained "painlessly".