This video shows examples of a bad handover and good handover. It is intended to serve as an introductory training tool for interns and residents to better perform care transitions. The characteristics of a good handover are:
1. Identify what patient information should be included at handover.
2. Communicate the essential elements of a nightly handover.
3. Recognize patients at risk during transitions of care.
4. Communicate clearly with patients and families, and members of the health care team during hospital discharge.
5. Manage discharge medications to ensure safety and patient adherence.